Woman dies in Pickens house fire

D. C. Moody Staff Writer

December 31, 2013

PICKENS — The South Carolina Law Enforcement Division is investigating a fire at a Reece Mill Road residence that left a 48-year-old woman dead, officials said Tuesday afternoon.

Pickens County Coroner Kandy Kelley identified the victim as Margaret Ann Hunter, who lived at the 801 Reece Mill Road home. Officials said the woman died from smoke inhalation. Hunter’s body was found in the front room of the home.

The Pickens Police Department said a passerby noticed smoke at the home around 6:54 p.m. and immediately called 911 and notified the woman’s neighbors. An attempt was made to enter the home but the “heat was too intense,” officials said.

Pickens Police Chief Rodney Gregory said there was no reason to believe there was any foul play.

Fire officials said they believe the fire was caused by an electric heater.