MOUNTAIN REST — Mountain Rest Baptist Church is the site of a new addition to the Upstate Heritage Quilt Trail.
The church activities building, located at 9915 Highlands Highway in Mountain Rest, will soon bear a quilt block called Bible Blocks.
The original quilt was made by Myrtle Childers of Heath Springs in Lancaster County for Pastor Randy Koon and his wife, Suzanne, in 1994. She was a member of Pleasant Hill Baptist Church which he pastored at that time.
Childers was a self-taught quilter. She was 73, a widow with two sons and a retired nurse when she made the quilt as a love gift for the Koons. The pattern was chosen from Biblical Blocks: Inspired Designs for Quilters by Rosemary Makhan, because each element in the quilt has a Bible theme.
Childers was nearly blind and had to sew the quilt using a large magnifying glass. The quilt was entirely hand stitched in squares on large embroidery hoops and pieced together over a period of three months. She traveled to a cloth store in Charlotte, N.C., to find cloth that matched the picture in the pattern book she used to make the quilt.
“It is one of our most prized possessions and is kept on an antique sleigh bed in our guestroom which was also a gift from Mrs. Childers,” the Rev. Koon said.
He has pastored four churches in North Carolina and South Carolina and became the pastor of Mountain Rest Baptist Church in September 2002. He has two children - a son, Daniel, who is a pastor in Murfreesboro, Tenn., and a daughter, Elizabeth Sturkie, who is a pastor’s wife in Donalds. The Koons have six grandchildren.
The quilt block is being sponsored by the SASSY Ladies Mission organization of Mountain Rest Baptist Church. The church had its early beginnings as the Double Springs Union Church and meetings were held in an old school building.
Ten acres of land were given in the cause of religion for the consideration of $3.00. Although the land was given in 1858, it was not recorded until 1868.
Originally, the church was a union of Methodists and Baptists with itinerant preachers conducting the services, alternating the material used for Sunday school between the two denominational publishing houses.
In 1942, the membership nearly doubled from 16 members to 30 members with 12 baptisms and two additions by letter.
The Deacons, with support from the membership, realized the need for a separate place of worship that they might assemble in complete freedom according to the dictates of their conscience.
The Baptists appointed a committee to build a separate place of worship, and a building plot was donated on the same highway a short distance away on Chattooga Ridge Road in August 1947.
Most of the materials and work to build the church were donated by the members. The church was completed and dedicated on May 27, 1951. It was renamed the Mountain Rest Baptist Church in 1975 in order to tie the church more closely to the community it serves.
The Church relocated to Highlands Highway in1982, and completed their activities building in 2010. The old Union Church continues to operate as Double Springs Methodist Church.